The Up River Yacht Club was founded in 1936 by a group of yachtsmen who wanted to encourage yacht racing and cruising. There was a varied selection of boats available at the time and handicap racing was organised from a small temporary building which was erected by these gentlemen at Brandy Hole.
In 1949 property was acquired on the river-front at Hullbridge village and the small building was transferred to this site. See the main picture above.
1948: Note the original white painted Up River Yacht Club building.
Hullbridge Regatta – picture taken from the riverside path in front of the Anchor PH
Note the crane on the wharf in the background which is gone in the picture below that was taken later in the decade.
The photographs above were from the late 1940’s and early 1950’s. These include Frith Postcards and their copyright is fully acknowledged and we have included this link for details to more Frith Postcards a treasure trove of historic images.
The remaining pictures were taken by Mr A Cook a local amateur photographer long departed who published many of his photographs as post cards (information and images; grateful thanks to Dave Whiffen of Hullbridge Memories and History Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/534360336662218/) .
After some years the membership had grown considerably and in 1972 the club purchased a field, part of which had been used for a number of years as a boat park, and the construction of a new, larger clubhouse was completed in August 1973.
1973 – 1974
Over the years since 1973 the club house has been extended progressively to reflect the growing membership.
During the 1980’s both dinghy and cruiser racing were very popular at Up River yacht Club. With two handed dinghy classes dominating the racing scene.
1987 when the River Crouch was frozen
There are some great photo montages in the club house displaying very popular social events from the 1990’s. Members enthusiasm for sailing, both racing and cruising, was as strong as ever.
Up River Yacht Club in the 20th century – video
Meeting the needs of a growing membership, there have been substantial extensions to the club house, outside decking and complete modernisation of club facilities. In 2017 a new boat house was erected for safety boats and to accommodate the equipment for a growing fleet of club boats supporting the clubs’ Learn to Sail programme.
Since the ‘noughties’ improvements have included the installation of ample electrical points and water taps across the club grounds. CCTV protection and PIR lighting cover the club house and surrounding area.
Thinking of joining?
Up River Yacht Club have been welcoming new members since 1936. If you would like to find out more about joining please, click on the button below.
[su_button url=”https://upriver.org.uk/new-membership-enquiry/” target=”blank” background=”#2d68ef” size=”5″ center=”yes” icon=”icon: chevron-circle-right”]Interested? Let us know [/su_button]