Up River YC offers dinghy racers
- Extensive and varied combination of race courses: Upper Crouch; Middle Crouch
- Wide variety of river sailing conditions
- Large sheltered dinghy park
- Access to the river for over 6 hours on every tide
- Safety boats including a high speed RIB
- Race box with a start / finish line across the full width of the river
- Experienced race organisers of Club Racing and Open Meetings
- Year round racing
- Ample summer parking for dinghy trailers
- Enthusiastic dinghy racing membership
- Race with national class champions
Since it was founded in 1936, Up River YC has supported dinghy racing on the upper reaches of the River Crouch, away from the cruiser scene ‘down river’ at Burnham. Up River YC has a healthy racing program with events held throughout the year. Yes, we do sail all winter!
There has been a change in the type of dinghies sailed at the Club, from the National 12’s and Merlin’s back in the 80’s the Club is now predominately a single-handed club. Now you will see Lightning 368’s, Streaker’s, Comets, and Solo’s regularly taking to the water. Many of the sailors from these classes compete on the open meeting circuit. Up River YC has an impressive history of producing National Champions.
We share the head of the river with two other dinghy clubs and we regularly organise joint events. The annual Eyott plate is raced to decide the champion club and every year we all combine for Bart’s Bash, regularly fielding 30+ boats.
Alongside the racing, the last few years have seen Up River YC expand its cadet section with successful grants to buy new boats to train the next generation. This lead to us to being nominated for Club of the Year in 2016! The Club sailing calendar now includes many training days and fun sails making it easy for new members to learn to sail and then rapidly take part in dinghy racing.
Please click on the button below if you are interested in finding out more about dinghy racing at Up River Yacht Club.
2017 onwards dinghy duties and sailing instructions
New document in course of preparation giving full details of dinghy duties and sailing instructions for dinghy racing.
If you are 18 or over and have sailed in a club event since 1 April ‘18 this message is for you…